Monday, September 15, 2008

Counting

Today's post is brought to you by the number one. Or should I say uno? A little backstory -- my daughter loves to count things. Sometimes she counts 1 straight through to 10, (at 21 months -- maybe I'm just impressed because I'm her mom) sometimes it's "1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 7, more!" etc.

For dinner tonight we had burgers and tater tots. Delaney's never been a fan of anything with ground beef, so she had green beans, yogurt and tater tots. I kept the tater tots on my plate, broken in 1/2 to cool down, then transferred them to her plate. She had to, of course, count the tater tots. Pointing to each piece as she said a number, she recited, "one, dos, tres, wato, cinco!"

Um, what just happened?????

Chuck and I are laughing out of sheer amazement. Delaney thinks that's cool.

We ask her, specifically, to count her tater tots IN SPANISH. Points at each piece, and says "one, dos, tres, wato (which I can only assume is quatro), cinco!"

Seriously, that is cool.

The only other Spanish word we've ever heard her speak is "sube", which my minimal spanish tells me (i.e. the spanish to english translator from yahoo search) means climb/rises. A popular word on "Go, Diego, Go" when Linda the Llama is going up a hill. Delaney uses it when she climbs onto the couches, somedays she says "climb" others she says "sube." I don't have any doubts she knows we speak English, but I think it's pretty neat she's learned that on "Dora the Explorer" and Go, Diego, Go!"

2 comments:

Carrie S. said...

It is pretty amazing! Delaney is a little sponge! What is more amazing to me is that she is able to transfer what she hears on TV into a real life situation, that is usually something a MUCH older age group does.

Unknown said...

what a smarty! that's so great! it's one of the reasons i was glad t always loved dora!