Wednesday, July 23, 2008

new words

I just can't seem to figure out a solid place to put/post all of my important dates and memories for when my daughter grows up, so hopefully this journal will be the winner. Maybe I'll add more backstory/pictures, and tales from everyday life, but for now it will just serve as a memory storage.

My daughter is 20 months old. How she got to be that big I have no idea. She is so much fun (except when those terrible 2's kick in...I dread next year) and learns new things every day. She has always called my dad "Poppy" but she took forever to call my mom by name. I think that was partly because my mom was wishy-washy about what she wanted to be called, so we changed it around a few times, probably only confusing my daughter in the process. So one day we were naming people. We pointed at my husband. "Daddy." Me - "Mommy." Grandpa - "Poppy." Grandma - "House...?" Um, what? We had to ask her a few times, at the risk of my mother being forever known as "House" to make sure we heard correctly. We did. No idea where that came from, except whenever we would go to visit (we live 10 minutes away, so often) as we pulled in the driveway I would say "Whose house are we at? Is this Grammy's house?" Drop the Grammy, and you've got yourself a House. Now the house bit only lasted for a week or so, and that turned into MeeMaw. My mom was ok with that, she had only insisted on not being "Nanny" because when we were younger, something yucky was 'nanny-ca-ca'. Can't say I blame her. Now MeeMaw has turned into "WeeMaw" and seems to be sticking. My mom thinks it's so cute, and encourages it. I have to say it's not too bad myself.

Other cute words --

Banana - Bee-a. When I first taught her this one, I would sit close and let her watch how I made the "na" sound with my tongue. That turned into 'ba-la-la-la-la-la-ee-a'

Blueberries - Rappies. No IDEA where this came from. We had blueberry pancakes at my parents last weekend. Delaney wasn't real fond of the pancake part, she was more interested in the bowl of bee-a's in the middle of the table. So, sitting in Poppy's lap, she had banana slices for breakfast. We threw some plain blueberries in there and she grabbed one which was amazing in itself since this kid passes up bananas for nothing. Then she grabbed the other one. Pretty soon she had eaten a dozen blueberries. Every time we gave her a few more, it was sheer excitement and a squeal of "Rappies!!"

I'll have to come up with a general list of all of her words at 20 months, I'll start that in a new post so I can edit and add when I remember/hear more.

No comments: